Sunday, August 24, 2008

Twilight Travails, part I

At the request of many folk, not in the least tn_teacher, fancifulreality and, finally, (though by no means least), fairey_queen, I have started to read Twilight by current literary superstar Stephanie Meyer.

(I also promised my boss, AB, that I would read this book.)

Since so many folk have expressed interest in my reactions to this book, I thought I would blog said reactions for posterity and to satiate their curiosity. Also, because I need to start being disciplined in my blogging again, and this is a good way to start.

So.

I borrowed the book from fairey_queen this morning, and sat down to read it this afternoon. I've made it almost to page 50 and my favorite character is the truck. Bella is a slightly emo 14-year-old girl, and having never been any sort of 14-year-old girl m'self, I can't say she's someone I really identify with. Some of her issues, I jibe with: alienation, being left out, etc - but being stalked by the puppy-boy Mike and the painfully geeky Eric is more amusing than anything else.

I feel almost bad laughing at Bella's problems, because it just seems mean.

But that is, I think, the root of the problem - Meyer has created a very real person and despite my not getting all the trauma of being a 14-year-old girl (and to hear the tales I've heard, it's quite traumatic), she is still a sympathetic character whom I find myself mildly interested in - though not yet invested in. So far, Edward isn't all that interesting, even knowing he's a vampire. Even though it's obvious his reaction to Bella was stronger than he expected/wanted, and doesn't quite know what to do with it.

Like I said, so far, the best character is the truck.

There is one part of this that's hard for me to get past. Edward is over a hundred years old - and is a 17-year-old boy who falls in love with an 14-year-old girl? A bit creepy much. I'm not sure I see the romance as much as I see a rather twisted form of pedophilia.

The jury is still out on this one.

No comments: